We’re looking for an Ecologist to join Palmer’s Ecology team. Our ideal candidate has strong field skills in plant identification, ecological land classification, wetland evaluation, familiarity with wildlife habitat assessments, and experience managing a variety of multi-disciplinary projects. Work experience with Species at Risk is beneficial.
Palmer is a privately owned firm with offices in Vancouver, Toronto, Bracebridge, and Whitehorse, servicing clients throughout Canada. Palmer was founded in 2010 to provide project direction and technical scientific services to support the environmental assessment and permitting process associated with mining, energy, municipal infrastructure, and land development projects. Palmer is an innovative and vibrant company that has assembled a versatile team of dedicated staff.
What You’re Responsible For:
- Completing project background reviews, field investigations, data compilation and analysis and report writing.
- Collecting field data and observations in an accurate and well-organized manner.
- Completing tree inventory and protection plans, edge management plans and contributing to restoration plans.
- Working collaboratively with the project team, with some understanding of integrating study disciplines.
- Reviewing and summarizing environmental policies and legislation such as municipal official plans and the Endangered Species Act.
- Assisting with environmental permitting and approval processes.
- Managing projects.
- Liaising with clients and regulatory agencies.
What We’re Looking For:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Environmental Science/Management, Biology, Ecology or Geography
- 5 years of experience in a Junior Ecologist position or 5 plus years in an intermediate position in the areas of Ecology, Biology, Plant Science, or other related environmental discipline.
- Ecological Land Classification and/or Ontario Wetland Evaluation System certification or demonstrated experience.
- Experience with wildlife surveys for herpetofauna, birds, and/or mammals.
- Excellent communication skills and experience working with multi-disciplinary teams to solve problems in a timely manner.
- Ability to work independently and manage your own schedule.
- Access to a personal vehicle and a valid Class G driver’s license, with a clean driving record.
- ISA Certified Arborist and GIS skills are an asset.
As a wholly-owned subsidiary of SLR Consulting (Canada) Ltd. (SLR), Palmer Environmental Consulting Group Inc. (Palmer) is part of a global consultancy firm providing environmental and advisory solutions to clients, with a team of over 3,000 talented professionals delivering advice and support in Europe, North America, Latin America, Asia-Pacific and Africa. Palmer’s expertise builds on SLR’s existing environmental capabilities, creating one of the largest environmental teams in Canada. Palmer and SLR recognize the synergies in services related to fisheries, aquatic, and terrestrial ecology, hydrogeology, water resources, geology and geomorphology and continue to further expand and diversify the range of services and technical depth in Ontario and British Columbia.
In addition, appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).